# The prerequisites of flow experience
Redirect to The components of flow experience
- The prerequisites of flow are needed to flood working memory
- Narcissism blocks flow
- A person who is self-conscious is worried about what other thinks of them. When they are faced with a hard challenge, they will not be able to focus on applying their skills, which is The prerequisites of flow experience, as most of the attention and energy is spent on protecting the self.
- Creative work requires clear goals and feedback to become a flow activity
- Creative work is inherently challenging and require skills, which is one of the The prerequisites of flow experience. Creative works are normally open-ended and they don’t inherently have clear goals and immediate feedback, therefore creative works are unfortunately not a flow activity by default. Writing, for example, may last for more than a week or year without clear finish line nor feedback.
- Autotelic personality
- Although everyone can learn to enter the flow state (Controlling consciousness is learnable), not everyone have the same level of ability to make everything they do enjoyable. People with an autotelic personality has a greater ability to enter the flow state than an average person, they have the habit of converting everything they encounter into an flow experience (Flow experience is an autotelic experience). Any activities can be converted to enjoyment. This means, based on the The prerequisites of flow experience, autotelic individuals are very good at challenge finding and skill building by themselves.